Sunday, November 23, 2014

Vegan Thanksgiving

Okay, so in January my hubby and decided that we were going to go vegan as a family.

Here it is turkey season and our kids will not be eating turkey this year. Nor will they be partaking in the ham at Christmas time. Some days I tell my 4 year old that when he is 18 he can eat "clean meats" and we go down the list which includes chicken, turkey, or deer. I will have to say that I have had some yummy jerk venison made by co-workers in the past.
We hosted thanksgiving this year at our house. Both sisters, brother, niece and nephew attended. They brought the meat, our family prepared the side dishes. We made homemade bread, added carrots, onions, garlic and seasonings such as sage, fennel, and celery seed to make stuffing. I also made a homemade gravy from cashews, nutritional yeast flakes and potatoes. There was also broccoli as a side dish. My kids did not complain nor notice that they were not eating meat.



Other items on the menu included peach pie with flax seed and pureed tofu, cheese cake made with dates and walnuts for a crust.  So, it is possible to be vegan for the holidays.

this post is linked to Mom 2 Mom Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment